Skip to main content

Me Tarzan. You Immortality

a little Joe Black to start things off.....


There are two things I have thought about when it comes to death. Surprisingly, it isn’t “where am I going to spend eternity?” at least… not much. No, the two things have to do with the impact of my life on the people I leave behind; my mother, my friends, my work. I’ve included “my work” as a person because oft times it feels like it has a life all its own.
The first thought revolves around Substitution. When a person dies, there creates an obvious void. As far as spirituality goes, one may say their soul & spirits simply returned to sender, but in the temporal realm, there is a void.
Question: to replace that void, should I organise a surrogate… a substitute in my stead to a). keep “me” alive and b). to continue the natural flow of things?
Example: I have two brothers on either side of the religious divide. One is an intelligent whack job who lives on my planet [the Theist], the other is an intelligent whack job who is an artist-scientist [the Atheist]. In the event of my demise, I planned on “setting up” the two boys so that they will find in each a version of myself worth remembering. They will argue about Faith, they will talk about changing Theism, they will discuss art and writing and drama the way how I have with both of them. Each will be a substitution of/for me. For the truth is, the concept of not being around to see that every one is ok and thriving is repugnant to me. There I said it.

The second thought revolves around Continuance or rather, Immortality. More than any period in time, we now have the chance to be ‘truly’ immortal through the longevity of our FACEBOOK accounts [so much for books and historical footnotes]. Some years ago a friend died – his Faceboys account though, lived on. The odd “We miss you” and “R.I.P Kino” continues today – especially on birthdays. And the notion of virtually living forever is not new. A woman, who was dying of Cancer made videos for her daughter outlining everything including, how to apply makeup. But this was the age of VHS not FACEBOOK.

Question: How would you feel if, after a friend died, they returned to Facebook with daily status updates, videos, cool links, blog posts etc.? In essence, they – the dead – authorised/have contracted someone to keep them alive. Preprogramed messaged et al.

Example: I plan on sticking around a long time because there are still many, many things [Celestial & Physical] I have to accomplish. But what if I bepped out? But before I did, I recorded one set of videos, placed in trusted care ALL my bad purple prose and relatively good pieces; set up a string of daily status updates and birthday lists to be adhered to by the one I authorise… how would my friends and family take it? I suspect they would send a message to the person “playing me” to stop it, some may even un-friend me but I would hope that the majority would just shake their heads, through back a laugh and say “Tracy again.”
I know this may be a lot. And I know that this all stems from my need to push back death away from all I hold dear for as long as God allows it [went to say “I can” but… let’s be real], still I often wonder about these things. And how to prep for it.

Pax
Tracy j H

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Tarzan: You Thorough Examination

 "I hypothesize that the reason Perception outweighs Truth is that Truth demands a thorough examination and we all have ADHD." The Hutchings Hypothesis There is a pro-life poster I always see. It reads, “The supporters of abortion have already been born”. Now on the surface, the statement seems sound and seeing the frequency of which the statement/image/poster is used, I’d say it has even become a linchpin for the movement. That is until you examine the truth of the statement which is often overlooked: who better to support abortion than those among the living? Those who have seen the ills of unwanted pregnancies, pregnancies by abuse, the scar and shame of the woman/young girl who [to this day in some circles] is still treated like another piece of property instead of a living thinking being. Indeed, the supporters of abortion HAVE already been born and because of that, they are able to say “you should have a choice”. I bet you look at the whole thing differen

Me Tarzan. You Life Lessons.

                                Übermensch! Übermensch! Da-da-da-da-da-da Übermensch! --> I started reading up on Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche again. He has always fascinated me. He had two main statements that jerked me. 1). That of the Ubermensch – commonly known as the superior man or the superman and 2). The whole “death of God” concept – which even as I type this feels so… unright [I should say wrong but humor me]. It’s like incest I would think – the death of God? And not even in the supremely messianic portrayal seen every Easter, no this was more like getting rid of Him completely. With all my faults, even that seems too much. But then a friend of mine gave me a brief logic a few years ago and I could see a glimmer of a gem in a jewel box, wrapped in an oil cloth. The point was made that, Nietzsche advocated THIS-WORLD ism [not correct title but that’s how I’ll break it down]. If there was no soul, no other place to go to; if this was the only realty the

Me Tarzan, You Save Me

                                         Ah, Smallville. Ah, Remy Zero! You say the best things. "How to save the world in five (5) minutes? Die. It dawns on me that both religiously and ordinarily, when someone dies... People change. U could try to change people all you want but it's in death that they realise - he, she stood for something. And they change. Funny. Pax"  - Text to a brother: July 20th, 2012; 6:19pm * I used to live in fear of the phone ringing. There was a time when the phone would ring and i would wonder if this was the day that my heart would be broken? Would i hear the news that a loved one [friend/family] has died? Was it a car crash? Please God, don't let evil or sad/tragic intent be on the other end of the phone. I haven't felt that way for a while, till last Sunday. We got the call. A healthy young man - Father, Deacon, Army Dude and all round good guy dies from a heart attack. I was cold. I didn't feel anything that moment bu