Skip to main content

Me Tarzan. You Tales From the Middle of the Street.


Tales from the middle of the street [another Epistle of the Strange entry]


I started off with a plan. I was going to talk about morality. You kow, the concept of it, the need for it, WHO’S MORALITY do we practice and why…. Intellectual stuff. I was going to break it down because after my experiment succeeded – in that it failed just as I expected it to – I had that moment where I thought maybe now I return to The Girl and/or even The God [did I mention I’m Theist? Christian to be exact? Pentecostal if you want to be pedantic about the whole thing]. It was a split second thought. Maybe a bit more. But the point was, I haad that moment where I strongly considered running back wholey and solely to the Church.

Now my loathing of some Church people aside, this still seemed like a cop-out and a general “Prodigal” thing to do. Theists love prodigal stories. The son who thought himself independent finds himself in a moral and spiritual rot and drags himself back [contritely] to his father in hopes that said father makes him a servant. The father – with arms wide open – reinstates him as a son. It’s a heartwarming tale. Of course for me, I’m always in favor of the prodigal’s brother – the dude who has been a faithful son to the father and still feels as if his needs are not met. I don’t particularly dig the prodical story much, most days.

And it feels too easy. Do what you want to do and then when you end up in do-do, you do what you were supposed to do in the first place – find/cry out to God. Though truth be told, it is not easy. Like I told a friend of mine on Wednesday – there are two types of Theists: a). screw it, I-doing-what-I-want-God-will-forgive-me kind [very flippant] and b). the this-isn’t-what-I-wanted-i-realise-and-I’m-genuinely-in-need-of-sorting kind. I’m somewhere in the middle. I’m in the street. I know I’ll end up being a punk and I do want some forgiveness/closure but I know I’m liable to be the same bat way, same bat time, same bat channel – so what’s the point?

Maybe what I should do – what we should all do – is find a personal sense of morality and stick to it. Every Theist inclination tells me this isn’t right or true; that our personal morality – like our righteousness is as “filthy rags”. The scripture itself says – “do not be wise in your own eyes” – Proverbs 3:7. But I refuse to be wise in anyone else’s eyes either. Is it arrogant? Yes. Is it detrimental? Yes. Wouldn’t it be easier to dive into the arms of the Great Known and say – “Truly have your way with me”? YES! But I feel that I need to figure my life out. I need to [as an old local ad campaign said] fix me first.

It’s funny. My views and the views of the Athiest community are somewhat aligned. Recently, I went to a production and when I heard what an Atheist friend had to say about fixing HER OWN problems, I realised that yes – that’s how I feel! One of my brothers thinks I’m a closet Atheist. Ichuckle. I’m not a closet anything. Closets are stiffling and holds mold spores. But what am I? WHO am I… now?  Who’s morality is this anyways? And who gives me the right to live by it? Who gives you?

MacBook Dictionary defines “morality” as principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior. Who decides? Religion? If that’s true then believers had better answer some serious questions fast. Is it society? Have our “morals” come from years of societal doctrine or as MacBook would say, “a particular system of values and principles of conduct, esp. one held by a specified person or society”: a bourgeois morality” If yes, can we admit that society is flawed and our “morals” need to change?

IF it is a mixture of both – as I strongly believe it is; for religion has shaped societal doctrines for years – then we really have to get to the core of this thing, this morality and either dig it out and transplant it into fertile ground or dig it out completely.

There are days where I am tired of figuring out where I stand on any one thing. I’m not quite gay, not quite straight, not quite fully Theist, not NOT-THEIST either. I need to believe in God’s morality but I also want to find that place where TRACY can live.

I have often wondered if I wasn’t of a religious background, would any of this matter.
Take pre-marital sex for example: I spent my whole life not having sex. A) – The idea of the act seemed fun but music was my outlet B). For a while it was strictly wait-till-I-get-married kind of morality and C). After a while I just got scared/freaked out about the whole thing? What do you do when you’ve waited your whole life and the person you want to give yourself away to/with has HAD a fully functional sex life before? I eventually exchanged Religious Morality for my own – at least that’s what I told myself. I was waiting for the goddess to show up. And after the short-lived-still-churning-idea-ended, the boys returned.

I haven’t slept with any of the boys I liked/crushed on. At best, we all flirted. Nothing more. Somebody’s morality clause says – none ah dat! But I just wanted someone to play with, laugh with… touch.

Now, look at this hilarity: The religious authority says no sex before marriage. The gays want to get married. Societal morality – SECULAR morality says no. Hereby co-opting the spiritual/religious belief system of another, in order to solidify their own. So either way, people are screwed.

And that’s the other thing I’ve found hilarious about the secular spiritual mix: secular law does not NEED the approval of a priest, pastor, pundit or imam to do what it wants, but when it comes to the notion of things like equal rights between the orientations, they jump on board the religious train; concealing their own biases and solidifying their position on the knees of the believers. Leaving people like me to wonder – who am I now and what do I do about all of this?

I’ve been saying to myself that Lord Jesus was the only man for me. This is not me being super-spiritual or Divinely Romantic, it’s just that I felt I was done with the whole thing. And for better or worse, I’ve always felt that He [if/when no one else was] – has been/continues to be there. … … I don’t know, maybe that's not the best statement in the world.

Even now with personal morality, I have to ask what am I doing? Like flirting with someone much younger than me – even though I maintain it’ll probably never go anywhere; or contemplating The Girl and if it’s fair to see [once again] where we stand.
I started off with a plan. I was going to talk about morality. It was going to be intellectual and proper, but forget it; redemption comes to those who write, to those who search, to those who accept the need to fix their own lives. Whatever that means.

Pax
Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Tarzan. You Life Lessons.

                                Übermensch! Übermensch! Da-da-da-da-da-da Übermensch! --> I started reading up on Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche again. He has always fascinated me. He had two main statements that jerked me. 1). That of the Ubermensch – commonly known as the superior man or the superman and 2). The whole “death of God” concept – which even as I type this feels so… unright [I should say wrong but humor me]. It’s like incest I would think – the death of God? And not even in the supremely messianic portrayal seen every Easter, no this was more like getting rid of Him completely. With all my faults, even that seems too much. But then a friend of mine gave me a brief logic a few years ago and I could see a glimmer of a gem in a jewel box, wrapped in an oil cloth. The point was made that, Nietzsche advocated THIS-WORLD ism [not correct title but that’s how I’ll break it down]. If there was no soul, no other place to go to; if this was the only realty the

Me Tarzan: You Thorough Examination

 "I hypothesize that the reason Perception outweighs Truth is that Truth demands a thorough examination and we all have ADHD." The Hutchings Hypothesis There is a pro-life poster I always see. It reads, “The supporters of abortion have already been born”. Now on the surface, the statement seems sound and seeing the frequency of which the statement/image/poster is used, I’d say it has even become a linchpin for the movement. That is until you examine the truth of the statement which is often overlooked: who better to support abortion than those among the living? Those who have seen the ills of unwanted pregnancies, pregnancies by abuse, the scar and shame of the woman/young girl who [to this day in some circles] is still treated like another piece of property instead of a living thinking being. Indeed, the supporters of abortion HAVE already been born and because of that, they are able to say “you should have a choice”. I bet you look at the whole thing differen

Me Tarzan, You Save Me

                                         Ah, Smallville. Ah, Remy Zero! You say the best things. "How to save the world in five (5) minutes? Die. It dawns on me that both religiously and ordinarily, when someone dies... People change. U could try to change people all you want but it's in death that they realise - he, she stood for something. And they change. Funny. Pax"  - Text to a brother: July 20th, 2012; 6:19pm * I used to live in fear of the phone ringing. There was a time when the phone would ring and i would wonder if this was the day that my heart would be broken? Would i hear the news that a loved one [friend/family] has died? Was it a car crash? Please God, don't let evil or sad/tragic intent be on the other end of the phone. I haven't felt that way for a while, till last Sunday. We got the call. A healthy young man - Father, Deacon, Army Dude and all round good guy dies from a heart attack. I was cold. I didn't feel anything that moment bu