Skip to main content

Me Tarzan. You Single Christian

                                  Single or otherwise, do like Jill Scott and live life like it's Golden

-->
I behaved poorly today. In church no less. Not that one should behave poorly everywhere else BUT Church but oh dear lord, sometimes...

I have a problem. I don't date Christian girls. Did I mention I am a Christian? You see the problem here. Not so, said a friend of mine. She reminded me that maybe it’s better to date someone outside the family and basically convert them. Smile. A well thought out strategy is important.

To give you a background to this story:
Today [Sunday 11th, Nov.] in Church, they divided us up into sections – children, adolescent, young adults 20-25, people married for 10 years and under, people married over 10 years etc. In essence, today was all about Family. Kudos to the West Indies School of Theology’s students who had to teach people – most of whom- they never met before.

Naturally I was in one of the singles classes with my brother Kedar and friends. Naturally, I did not want to go. I went to Church for a few reasons today, NONE OF WHICH was to sit and hear how to like being single or whatever.

As is the case anywhere, ask men and women why they are single and at some point it becomes a blame fest with the end result being a girl  - with a point that I would consider valid some other day – stating that men [basically] are not responsible, finacially or spiritually ready and such. And I exploded. I had to remind the class, that there are guys, GOOD GUYS who love God, try to have good finances, who grew up around a spiritual environment and still can’t get a decent girl. The idea that men are not responsible while true to a great degree [with some] guys, is a pathetic excuse in my eyes since a). the ready ones exist and b). as one dude said – “what if she not on the brother?”.

I realised today that: a). I may have embarassed myself – I should’ve played the role of observer and b). I showed vulnerability. But – you may say – it’s Church; being vulnerable… no one will advantage you for that, right? Right. Let’s continue.

“Go in a group”, the young teacher said. In essence, young single or courting couples should hang out in a group to avoid falling into temptation. Nevermind, their Bible talks about self control. Of course, to be fair, we live on Earth. Sex happens. Fine, go in the group and get to know the “sister” better. Except I had no group, why would I care for one now? When I was little and in Sunday School or Daily Vacation Bible School, I had a group because I knew the answers. These people are not my people, sad to say. I have been feeling alone for so long, yet you want me to go… with a girl… in a Christian group…. Half of whom STILL find me weird or just cannot understand me? I sent out a question to FORTY-FIVE CHRISTIANS. Not one TRIED to respond. Three explained to me that it was lil hard and I accept that. A couple didn’t seem to know that a question was sent to their facebook accounts,  since October 18th. Go in a group. Sure, except MY GROUP are a hip cool musicians and atheists and such don’t see sex as a big deal. My group is amazing. I should say that Kedar is on my planet. There are a few good Christians who are on my planet, so hanging out with them wouldn’t be a problem, except… I work weird hours. Not even “my group” gets to see me, save Christmas.

Which leads us of course to the bomb I dropped at the beginning. I don’t date Christian girls. In fact I think I went so far to tell a friend today that I hate dating Christian girls. Not entirely true. I truly am sorry. But this is the fact: I like weird music. I don’t play video games [I hate dying/have no gaming skils] but I will collect their soundtracks. I write fantasy stories. I collect comic books. I hypothesize EVERY THING. Just this weekend, I saw a link between past life/regression and a practical application of it. THAT was supposed to be the article. I like science. I am not a buff at it but I like it. I have hypothesized how evolution and Genesis 1 can be aligned. Now when I bounce in with my green lantern ring and pin – grief Tracy’s weird. Non Christian girls don’t just see the weirdness, they see me.

So my friend the Buddhist and I can talk about everything.
The Muslim girl I used to work with and I can talk about anything and form solutions – and STILL she will close a door and pray when it is time.
The Hindu girl is fasting and has never met this kind of crazy but she’s open to it….
The love of my life wants to make me dinner...

There is a brilliance that walks in her. I think she could’ve been/could be the ANSWER. And she’s real. The [truly] Christian girl says to me [in jest I hope] that she doesn’t go out with guys brighter than herself. Right.

The thing with dating “outside the family” is that issues like sex are… well.. a non-issue. Girls have an understanding: we like each other, we are together, spend the night. Of course, if you believe in the whole sanctity of marriage bit, clearly that is hilarious.

How hard is it to find somebody on the intelligent level who will not simply regurgitate 66 books? There were a few. There are a few. There is one who is EXCEPTIONAL… and her husband thinks so too.

I am fully aware of my issues. I am fully aware of my afflictions and today, I proved once and for all, my people annoy me. Probably no fault of theirs. But being a single Christian, being single period, is not one of those afflictions. Especially when you have Battlestar. 

I grant you that my heart sunk when I thought about new years eve; how I will probably be in Church and not in the arms of any of my loves/love interests; that another birthday or year end will come and probably not find me “with anyone” but I got over it. Because I have bigger things to work out – like publishing…or attaining more knowledge. I simply am not sure that MY people understand what being a Single Christian really means so I will continue to be “weird”  and enjoy my life sans the hilarity that of it all.

 A good woman can ascertain how deep a man's bullshit goes and - without fear- sticks her hand in and pulls him out of it. Later, they wash each other clean of it.” – Sept 17th, 2009. B is for Stealing Blog Quote. © TJH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Tarzan. You Life Lessons.

                                Übermensch! Übermensch! Da-da-da-da-da-da Übermensch! --> I started reading up on Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche again. He has always fascinated me. He had two main statements that jerked me. 1). That of the Ubermensch – commonly known as the superior man or the superman and 2). The whole “death of God” concept – which even as I type this feels so… unright [I should say wrong but humor me]. It’s like incest I would think – the death of God? And not even in the supremely messianic portrayal seen every Easter, no this was more like getting rid of Him completely. With all my faults, even that seems too much. But then a friend of mine gave me a brief logic a few years ago and I could see a glimmer of a gem in a jewel box, wrapped in an oil cloth. The point was made that, Nietzsche advocated THIS-WORLD ism [not correct title but that’s how I’ll break it down]. If there was no soul, no other place to go to; if this was the only realty the

Me Tarzan: You Thorough Examination

 "I hypothesize that the reason Perception outweighs Truth is that Truth demands a thorough examination and we all have ADHD." The Hutchings Hypothesis There is a pro-life poster I always see. It reads, “The supporters of abortion have already been born”. Now on the surface, the statement seems sound and seeing the frequency of which the statement/image/poster is used, I’d say it has even become a linchpin for the movement. That is until you examine the truth of the statement which is often overlooked: who better to support abortion than those among the living? Those who have seen the ills of unwanted pregnancies, pregnancies by abuse, the scar and shame of the woman/young girl who [to this day in some circles] is still treated like another piece of property instead of a living thinking being. Indeed, the supporters of abortion HAVE already been born and because of that, they are able to say “you should have a choice”. I bet you look at the whole thing differen

Me Tarzan, You Save Me

                                         Ah, Smallville. Ah, Remy Zero! You say the best things. "How to save the world in five (5) minutes? Die. It dawns on me that both religiously and ordinarily, when someone dies... People change. U could try to change people all you want but it's in death that they realise - he, she stood for something. And they change. Funny. Pax"  - Text to a brother: July 20th, 2012; 6:19pm * I used to live in fear of the phone ringing. There was a time when the phone would ring and i would wonder if this was the day that my heart would be broken? Would i hear the news that a loved one [friend/family] has died? Was it a car crash? Please God, don't let evil or sad/tragic intent be on the other end of the phone. I haven't felt that way for a while, till last Sunday. We got the call. A healthy young man - Father, Deacon, Army Dude and all round good guy dies from a heart attack. I was cold. I didn't feel anything that moment bu