Skip to main content

Me Tarzan: You Conditional Indignation


Bought a roti today [Dec. 20th, 2012]. A chicken one with slight pepper. After all, it IS Christmas and there is NO WAY –in my house – that we are going to grocery shop, clean house and then COOK at the same time. Forget it! As I waited, I did the customary macoing of the surroundings. My eye caught an old 2011 calendar with the picture of Hindu Deities all around it (the two I remember were Mother Lakshmi & Lord Ganesh – there may have been more). I shook my head and smirked at a new thought as I realised, we are not as plural a society [as we like to think].

Now you have to understand, this is calendar season and that’s a big deal. Right now, hundreds of supermarkets, bakeries, banks, pharmacies and [maybe] shoe stores are slipping in commemorative 2013 calendars in their customers’ shopping bags; a little “thank you for coming here” kind of thing. Of course, better service and a guilt-free discount now and again couldn’t hurt either. Many of these calendars though will feature a prominent image or collage of images of a Deity. This – no doubt - is based on the Owner’s preferred belief system. SO, it is not uncommon to get, wrapped with a rubber-band, a calendar with:

  • Christ the Good Shepherd
  • The Sacred Heart of Christ or even
  • Christ standing outside a door and knocking [Scriptural reference; “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” – Revelations 3:20; the door here, references the Heart/Soul of Mankind]


Or the FLIPSIDE, you might get a calendar with:
  • [what I call] The Divine Family [Shiva, Parvati, Ganesh]
  • Mother Lakshmi on Lotus [wealth, prosperity, enlightenment/wisdom]
  • Lord Ganesh [remover of obstacles]


Cue the problems as both sides get upset that they have to have “that thing” in their house. We are NOT a plural society. We like to think so because we haven’t slaughtered each other and because I like the children of indentured labourers. BUT, truly we aren’t. A plural society [that thinks] would know that the supermarket they love is owned by a devout [ish] Hindu and just because you get your groceries cheap there doesn’t make him less so; they would recognise that the Christian pharmacist’s bag says “Jesus is Lord” over it all during the year and a Bristol board calendar will not change this belief.

Is this a call to have a “place” for religion? … … … Honestly, I don’t know. As a Theist, I TOO believe in spreading the Word every chance I get, but the hilarity of being conditionally indignant upon receipt of a calendar is ridiculous, won’t you agree? Will a calendar of another person’s deity cause you to be more of a bastard to your fellow man [it may actually cause you to be less, all cards on the table, who knows]; is it only at Divali or Christmas or the end of the year that your eyes are opened [only to be shut again by the promise of roti or rum soaked black-cake]?

Does it matter THAT MUCH to you?
Why does it matter THAT MUCH to you?
As a [Christian] Theist, I am not oblivious to what your reasons are/maybe, but I am still exceedingly curious. 

Interestingly enough, the Roti shop’s 2013 calendar was a picture of the sea. A star fish on the sand, a pail and bucket and a sunny/golden background. Who doesn’t love [at least the idea of] the sea?

Pax





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Tarzan. You Life Lessons.

                                Übermensch! Übermensch! Da-da-da-da-da-da Übermensch! --> I started reading up on Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche again. He has always fascinated me. He had two main statements that jerked me. 1). That of the Ubermensch – commonly known as the superior man or the superman and 2). The whole “death of God” concept – which even as I type this feels so… unright [I should say wrong but humor me]. It’s like incest I would think – the death of God? And not even in the supremely messianic portrayal seen every Easter, no this was more like getting rid of Him completely. With all my faults, even that seems too much. But then a friend of mine gave me a brief logic a few years ago and I could see a glimmer of a gem in a jewel box, wrapped in an oil cloth. The point was made that, Nietzsche advocated THIS-WORLD ism [not correct title but that’s how I’ll break it down]. If there was no soul, no other place to go to; if this was the only realty the

Me Tarzan: You Thorough Examination

 "I hypothesize that the reason Perception outweighs Truth is that Truth demands a thorough examination and we all have ADHD." The Hutchings Hypothesis There is a pro-life poster I always see. It reads, “The supporters of abortion have already been born”. Now on the surface, the statement seems sound and seeing the frequency of which the statement/image/poster is used, I’d say it has even become a linchpin for the movement. That is until you examine the truth of the statement which is often overlooked: who better to support abortion than those among the living? Those who have seen the ills of unwanted pregnancies, pregnancies by abuse, the scar and shame of the woman/young girl who [to this day in some circles] is still treated like another piece of property instead of a living thinking being. Indeed, the supporters of abortion HAVE already been born and because of that, they are able to say “you should have a choice”. I bet you look at the whole thing differen

Me Tarzan, You Save Me

                                         Ah, Smallville. Ah, Remy Zero! You say the best things. "How to save the world in five (5) minutes? Die. It dawns on me that both religiously and ordinarily, when someone dies... People change. U could try to change people all you want but it's in death that they realise - he, she stood for something. And they change. Funny. Pax"  - Text to a brother: July 20th, 2012; 6:19pm * I used to live in fear of the phone ringing. There was a time when the phone would ring and i would wonder if this was the day that my heart would be broken? Would i hear the news that a loved one [friend/family] has died? Was it a car crash? Please God, don't let evil or sad/tragic intent be on the other end of the phone. I haven't felt that way for a while, till last Sunday. We got the call. A healthy young man - Father, Deacon, Army Dude and all round good guy dies from a heart attack. I was cold. I didn't feel anything that moment bu