Skip to main content

Me Tarzan: You Selfish Love

Love IS all around. But is it selfless or self-centred?

I hypothesize that love is a selfish enterprise. A way of taking revenge on a universe that wants you to be selfless to your fellow man.

Two Stories. Short Ones. Read On And You Decide:

1. 
She leans back onto him. His arms wrap around her and her entire body lets out a sigh and a smile as she, rests her head, on his shoulder. She is safe. She hadn't asked to be rescued. She didn't need saving. Life had sufficiently armed her with the claws to climb out of... well, whatever lay ahead. But here she was, safe in his wrapped arms. He gently swayed. She responded. Safe in his arms. ... But who... WHO protects him? Into whose arms does he breath into? Unto whose shoulders will he lay his head?

Now my Christian self says - "you know he leans on God". True. But I am not totally convinced he does. I AM CONVINCED that he will do whatever it takes to make sure she is safe because society, self, "social-ology" and religious statutes says he must and she will accept that as the role. Ms. Independent will keep to his arms, because Love is Selfish - love must have all.

2.
For the last couple months, I have toyed with the idea of telling someone I care about, that I ACTUALLY care about them. The act of course may open us BOTH to... happiness. I remember a glimpse of happiness, once. She was the goddess Nike. She was what I asked for. I still feel like I failed her. But back to the matter at hand. I could open up to my Atheist Interest [I can see Theists cringe] about what I feel. I could [in fact] take the risk as a friend informs. I can be happy. 

But see, when you tell someone - who DOESN'T KNOW what you feel about them - that you care; that you want to be with them, you are giving them a ball and demanding that they play. It is forcing someone to not only grab the baton, but run the race with you. It is selfish. And even if, they are game for this game, the selfish resolve of love does not end. There is the demand - FULFILL ME. Even well-intentioned couples look to the other for a smidge of fulfillment or justification, hereby forcing the other person to comply. This too is selfish.

And then there's the personal lace that trips me. I'm a Theist. What happens the day that I get some mighty supernatural revelation and suddenly become... I'm going to say, "strong" instead of Republican. What happens to them then? I take my Love back and put it wholly into my Faith. That sounds odd. It either means that right now, I'm halfway in my Faith or halfway in Feeling but Love is all consuming and must be allowed devour everything for the sake of it. Therefore no matter how we wrap it, how we interpret it, how we gloss it up, Love IS selfish. it may not always be self-centred but it IS selfish. The day we understand that, the better we'd know how to approach it.

Pax.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Tarzan. You Life Lessons.

                                Übermensch! Übermensch! Da-da-da-da-da-da Übermensch! --> I started reading up on Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche again. He has always fascinated me. He had two main statements that jerked me. 1). That of the Ubermensch – commonly known as the superior man or the superman and 2). The whole “death of God” concept – which even as I type this feels so… unright [I should say wrong but humor me]. It’s like incest I would think – the death of God? And not even in the supremely messianic portrayal seen every Easter, no this was more like getting rid of Him completely. With all my faults, even that seems too much. But then a friend of mine gave me a brief logic a few years ago and I could see a glimmer of a gem in a jewel box, wrapped in an oil cloth. The point was made that, Nietzsche advocated THIS-WORLD ism [not correct title but that’s how I’ll break it down]. If there was no soul, no other place to go to; if this was the only realty the

Me Tarzan: You Thorough Examination

 "I hypothesize that the reason Perception outweighs Truth is that Truth demands a thorough examination and we all have ADHD." The Hutchings Hypothesis There is a pro-life poster I always see. It reads, “The supporters of abortion have already been born”. Now on the surface, the statement seems sound and seeing the frequency of which the statement/image/poster is used, I’d say it has even become a linchpin for the movement. That is until you examine the truth of the statement which is often overlooked: who better to support abortion than those among the living? Those who have seen the ills of unwanted pregnancies, pregnancies by abuse, the scar and shame of the woman/young girl who [to this day in some circles] is still treated like another piece of property instead of a living thinking being. Indeed, the supporters of abortion HAVE already been born and because of that, they are able to say “you should have a choice”. I bet you look at the whole thing differen

Me Tarzan, You Save Me

                                         Ah, Smallville. Ah, Remy Zero! You say the best things. "How to save the world in five (5) minutes? Die. It dawns on me that both religiously and ordinarily, when someone dies... People change. U could try to change people all you want but it's in death that they realise - he, she stood for something. And they change. Funny. Pax"  - Text to a brother: July 20th, 2012; 6:19pm * I used to live in fear of the phone ringing. There was a time when the phone would ring and i would wonder if this was the day that my heart would be broken? Would i hear the news that a loved one [friend/family] has died? Was it a car crash? Please God, don't let evil or sad/tragic intent be on the other end of the phone. I haven't felt that way for a while, till last Sunday. We got the call. A healthy young man - Father, Deacon, Army Dude and all round good guy dies from a heart attack. I was cold. I didn't feel anything that moment bu