Skip to main content

Me Tarzan: You Tangibility [vs Trust]


In the early hours of Christmas morning, I sent a Tweet to Jesus Christ. Happy Birthday, I told him. For the course of the day, whenever I thought about it, I wanted to cry. This of course is not new because I happen to be highly emotional most days, but it was the sheer tangibility of the exercise that worked me over. I was not praying to the skies. I wasn’t slamming my eyes tight in hopes of a vision. I just… logged on to Twitter and sent him a message. Tangibility. The fact that I could virtually, reach out and say hello to the God of the Universe. iSmile. Of course, it’s not Him; even if his description says, “Carpenter, Healer, God”; even if he cracks me up with posts like, “Dad just told me he was Santa. This ruins everything”. But the idea is strong because there is a level of tangibility to it. Plus, he’s funny. Trust [in a real sense] was never an issue here; a notion Theists love to throw around quite frequently. Maybe it’s his publicist though. …

Trust over tangible proof. It is the Theist way. It is backed up with sermons and inspirational quotes and metaphors like, “You sat in that chair without thinking, TRUSTING it to hold your weight. You put your faith in the chair…” The funny thing is [of course] I can see the chair. More than likely I KNOW who manufactured the chair and can thus make a complaint to the [albeit sour sometimes] source. And while appearances are in fact deceiving, our minds can – at a glance – build a hypothesis that includes weight and comfort to determine the strength of the chair. Our brains can do this kind of thinking so fast, we don’t even realise it. We just… pull up a chair and sit. But to trust a god? Where are the records/the tangible? This is where you say, there ARE records. True. Every major/minor religion has a text with a record of God. But, since none of the sources are alive today…

Get it clear; I’m not saying I’ve never “felt” God’s presence or “seen” God’s hand in things/situations [just a few days ago, I was off the walls, happy by what I perceived was God at work] but if it can be rationally explained what then? Every year, pilgrims of all religions journey to their specific holy place. There, they “feel” the presence of God. I sat down and realised though, that that could just be an emotional response based on a preconceived idea; the foundation of which can be found in what is read. Where is the tangible proof?

Let’s go back to the mind. On a daily basis, the mind races with questions: Do I have to get up now? Why am I still in this job? Should I buy that dress? Will he appreciate it? Do I look alright? Why can’t I get a taxi? Are these people crazy? What should I have for lunch? Grief, curry again? I wonder if there’s traffic? Do we have bread at home? Am I forgetting anything? ALL DAY, our mind questions everything. Some answers may be more forthcoming than others but that does not negate the presence of the question does it? And these questions require a tangible answer. While [for example] I may TRUST that I look well, I’d still like the TANGIBLE evidence by way of a friend’s/family member’s validation of how I look. This is the nature of man.

Now I know enough to know that the questioning/mortal mind is often seen as a barrier to faith and trust. I also know that sometimes you have to let go of everything tangible to reach the intangible. A Theist KNOWS: Trust is respected. Trust is rewarded. Three Hebrew boys were saved from a fire because of Trust. They were not about to compromise, tangible evidence or not.* Meanwhile a disciple was rebuked for asking for proof, post-resurrection.** Still, it wouldn’t hurt to get more than rhetoric or rather, regurgitated material.
My friend/sister has a saying, “Trust God but lock your car door.” iSmirk. Practical/Tangible logic indeed.

*Daniel 3:16-18: “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us…. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O King, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”
**John 20:27-29: “Then he said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here; see my hands…. Stop doubting and believe.’ Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’ Then Jesus told him, ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed.’”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Tarzan. You Life Lessons.

                                Übermensch! Übermensch! Da-da-da-da-da-da Übermensch! --> I started reading up on Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche again. He has always fascinated me. He had two main statements that jerked me. 1). That of the Ubermensch – commonly known as the superior man or the superman and 2). The whole “death of God” concept – which even as I type this feels so… unright [I should say wrong but humor me]. It’s like incest I would think – the death of God? And not even in the supremely messianic portrayal seen every Easter, no this was more like getting rid of Him completely. With all my faults, even that seems too much. But then a friend of mine gave me a brief logic a few years ago and I could see a glimmer of a gem in a jewel box, wrapped in an oil cloth. The point was made that, Nietzsche advocated THIS-WORLD ism [not correct title but that’s how I’ll break it down]. If there was no soul, no other place to go to; if this was the only realty the

Me Tarzan: You Thorough Examination

 "I hypothesize that the reason Perception outweighs Truth is that Truth demands a thorough examination and we all have ADHD." The Hutchings Hypothesis There is a pro-life poster I always see. It reads, “The supporters of abortion have already been born”. Now on the surface, the statement seems sound and seeing the frequency of which the statement/image/poster is used, I’d say it has even become a linchpin for the movement. That is until you examine the truth of the statement which is often overlooked: who better to support abortion than those among the living? Those who have seen the ills of unwanted pregnancies, pregnancies by abuse, the scar and shame of the woman/young girl who [to this day in some circles] is still treated like another piece of property instead of a living thinking being. Indeed, the supporters of abortion HAVE already been born and because of that, they are able to say “you should have a choice”. I bet you look at the whole thing differen

Me Tarzan, You Save Me

                                         Ah, Smallville. Ah, Remy Zero! You say the best things. "How to save the world in five (5) minutes? Die. It dawns on me that both religiously and ordinarily, when someone dies... People change. U could try to change people all you want but it's in death that they realise - he, she stood for something. And they change. Funny. Pax"  - Text to a brother: July 20th, 2012; 6:19pm * I used to live in fear of the phone ringing. There was a time when the phone would ring and i would wonder if this was the day that my heart would be broken? Would i hear the news that a loved one [friend/family] has died? Was it a car crash? Please God, don't let evil or sad/tragic intent be on the other end of the phone. I haven't felt that way for a while, till last Sunday. We got the call. A healthy young man - Father, Deacon, Army Dude and all round good guy dies from a heart attack. I was cold. I didn't feel anything that moment bu